including Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
When children are initially learning spelling through phonics, we emphasise the sound-spelling connection:
Once children are secure with phonics, we should move on to saying spelling as it relates to the spelling-meaning connection:
un-help-ful teach-er-s re-place
We learn units of meaning -prefixes, suffixes and root/base words- with each unit carrying meaning.
We teach spelling enquiries, word sums and word maps.
Spelling begins in Year 1. We teach the National Curriculum.
- The 3 main rules are recapped every year
- The rules and patterns from the previous year are recapped
- The patterns, strings and rules for the national curriculum year are learned and practised
To develop independence and personalised learning practise in spelling we use Word Shark Online.
Children from Y2 have their own unique log in and connect through our Seesaw Platform.
We teach 9 spelling strategies
- Spelling rules and patterns
- Letter Strings
- Looking for patterns and meanings
- Over Articulation
- Words within words
- Kinaesthetic Motor Memory
Common Exception Words
We assess children’s accuracy of common misconception words each term